Friday, October 28, 2005

This Aint Oprah's Book Club, Part II

I finished reading "Memoirs of a Geisha" yesterday. I loved this book. I thought it was a fun and interesting read. I truly enjoyed getting the behind the scenes view of life as a Geisha; or as some would call it...a high class prostitute (I disagree with that terminology). I may however, be a bit biased. I have been fascinated with geishas for sometime now. I think my fascination is partially because geishas have been a part of Japanese society/culture for eons and have remained popular (albeit, not nearly as possible as say the early 20th century) even during modern times. I am also in total awe of the fabulous kimono's that they wear and the way they carry themselves so gracefully.

The author spent the first 1/4 of the book developing the key characters. This part of the book was the slowest to me. However, once I got past the first 1/4 it sped up, and I could not put the book down (After the first 1/4 I finished the book in less than 2 days). This book had a bit of everything...love, heartache, humor, backstabbing, etc...

So now I am looking for another book for the book club. Something light and fun. I was thinking about reading "A Million Little Pieces", the book recommended by Oprah. However, I heard that the book is about a middle age man with several addictions, and is laced with language that is vulgar and crass. Now ordinarily I would not be opposed to such a book. This is evidenced by the fact that I read "Running With Scissors" a couple months ago, and intend to read "A Million Little Pieces" someday in the near future. I have a lot going on in my life right now, so I need a "safe" retreat. If you have any suggestions please drop me a comment


On a scale of 1-5 (w/ 5 being the best), I give "Memoirs of a Geisha" a 4.5...It's a MUST read.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lady D said...

I'll have to read that when I have some free time.

1:20 AM  
Blogger ..Sue...Zette... said...

Lyronica loves that boook...chile...those books be too intellectual for me...lol..

Gimme a ghetto...Triple Crown...book anyday

Although...House of the Spirits by Isabelle Allende is one of the best books I ever read in my life...

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California

Powered by Blogger