Monday, October 24, 2005

Good Food

I have always been a picky eater. That statement does not mean that I don't
enjoy trying new foods. In fact, I love trying different cuisines. However, I have
never been one to like condiments (ketchup, mustard, mayo, butter, etc...),
dark meat of the chicken, oily foods, and a few other things. When I was
younger though my pickiness extended to foods that were also heavy in gravy.
Sadly, that included traditional Jamaican dishes like, Curry Goat, Ox Tail, and
Stew Peas. A funny thing happened however once I moved away from home, to
attend college, and the ease of getting those dishes was taken away. What
happened was that I always wanted them. I suppose the statement is
true..."absence makes the heart grow fonder". Now my favorite (favourite) dish
is Curry Goat. So much so that whenever I go to a Jamaican restaurant I find it
hard to order anything else. To me, there is nothing better than a piping hot
plate of curry goat (with just the right amount of scotch bonnet pepper), rice
and peas, fried plantain, and an ice cold "Jamaican bottle Pepsi" (Kola
Champagne if that isn't available). God I just got hungry.


Curried Goat Recipe

Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Serves/Yields: 6-8

Ingredients
5 1/2 lbs. (2 kg) goat meat (mutton)
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil/olive oil/butter
1 tsp. black pepper
2 tsps. salt
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
3 stalks escallion, chopped
1/2 tsp. thyme leaves
2 Tbsps. curry powder
1 whole scotch bonnet pepper
1/4 tsp. cumin (if you want)
6 cups boiling water


Method
Chop garlic, onion and escallion and set aside.
Cut goat meat in bite size pieces.
Season the meat with black pepper, salt, curry powder and the chopped seasonings.
In a dutch pot on an open fire add oil or butter, and allow to heat. Add the cumin and the chopped garlic and allow to burn.
Add the seasoned goat meat, stir then cover and leave to simmer for about fifteen minutes.
Add the boiling water, pepper and stir well, cover and leave to simmer until goat meat is cooked (nice and tender).

3 Comments:

Blogger Zeezy4Sheezy said...

mmmmmmmm... sounds good

2:28 PM  
Blogger -_- said...

Yes iyah!! One nex yardie fe troot!! Found you by way of Suezette!

11:21 PM  
Blogger Lady D said...

Damn!!! You had the recipe and all. You got me hungry.

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California

Powered by Blogger