Wednesday, September 28, 2005

This Aint Oprah's Book Club, It's Mine

So I have been doing a lot of social reading lately. Now I have always kept up on my gossip magazines, like US Weekly. However, lately I have been expanding my social reading to books/novels. Prior to this new leaf I was only reading law books and could not manage adding to my list of "real" books. But recently I have read several books, and below I am going to give you my synopses.

1. The DaVinci Code...This book was a fun read. I liked the fact that the chapters were short and that they alternated between several different aspects of the main story. This kept Me, the reader, intrigued. However, the book had a serious flaw; the overall writing style was poor. It was problematic that within each chapter there were problems differentiating between what was a thought, a quote, or just general background.

On a scale of 1-5, I give this book a 3.5.

2. The Alchemist...If you are a person who likes self help books, then this book is for you. I was disappointed with the ending because I felt that the book took me through hoops to get to a fact that I already knew. However, instead of this book I would recommend Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse. Siddhartha is a true classic, and a much more developed story of a young man trying to find himself and his true calling.

On a scale of 1-5, I give this book a 3.

3. Running With Scissor...Now this was a lighthearted enjoyable read. This book was about a young boys life growing up with his mother's psychiatrist and the psychiatrist's crazy ass family. This was a fun read.

On a scale of 1-5, I give this book a 4.

4. Small Island...As much as I want to finish this book, it is just not that interesting to me. The book is about Jamaicans who are transplanted in England after WWII. Trust me it seems interesting, but it is just not captivating to me.

This is unscaleable since I have not finished reading it, but I intend to.

Well I have just started reading Memoirs of a Geisha. I have heard for years that this book is supposed to be really good. Furthermore, it is being made into a movie and I want to read it before that comes out.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:45 AM  
Blogger Abeni said...

Currently reading Small island.it started off well but it kinda dropped off midway.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Jdid said...

met the author of small island last year or year before. she was actually quite interesting. havent read the book yet though, but i know folks who read it and liked it. I totally agree on da vinci but i liked alchemist a bit. Good short read is silk by Alessandro Baricco. dont know why i think of that book when i think of alchemist though as they arent similar maybe its cause i was reading them at the same time.

12:50 AM  
Blogger nandi_pandi said...

Small Island did seem interesting at first but I am about 1/2 way through and just want to get to the end so I can be done with it, but I am having problems picking the book back up.

12:53 AM  
Blogger theurbanista said...

i read memories of a geisha. it was really good.

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please help? I have a friend (she is just a friend) and I a need help finding the perfect book for her. She really did love Memoirs of a Geisha, so i am trying to get her something similar ( I guess). Could anyone post a recomendation for me? I want her to have the perfect book for Christmas!

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS: Thanks in advance (if you can help, Nandi). HAS ANYONE EVER TOLD YOU THAT YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL?

Please reply to post or send any recomendations to barrymullings@hotmail.com

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California

Powered by Blogger